Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Garides Tourkolimano (Greek Shrimp)


Greek cuisine is something I have not dabbled in much at home except for the occasional Greek salad. I love Greek food so it is one of those things that is on my list to start cooking. I decided I wanted shrimp for dinner and happened upon this recipe from Kevin from Closet Cooking by way of Tastespotting. I have noticed that Kevin takes a look at this site from time to time so I'm happy to share something from his site. Garides Tourkolimano sounded like the perfect simple recipe to get me cooking some Greek food. This dish was light, delicious and quick.

Ingredients


Makes 4 appetizer sized servings

  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
  • 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
  • 1 large tomato (diced)
  • 4 green onions (sliced)
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 splash hot sauce1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup feta (coarsely crumbled)
  • 1 handful parsley (chopped)
  • 1 cup feta (coarsely crumbled)

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the shrimp and saute them for a minute on each side and set aside.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the tomato and green onion and saute until the tomato starts to break down, about 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the shrimp, wine, herbs and season with salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and gently mix in the feta.
7. Cover and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
8. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.

Original recipe from Kalofagas.ca-Greek Food & Beyond.

2 comments:

  1. I'm delighted that you're trying out Greek food. It's a simple cuisine relying on the freshest seasonal ingredients.

    Thank you for linking to my original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe Peter! I'm Orthodox so have lots of Greek friends and Greek influences that come into my life.

    ReplyDelete

Locations of visitors to this page